Teaching Certification

If you want to teach grades K through 12 in the United States, you’ll need to know the department of education rules for the state where you want to teach. Every state has its own method for certifying teachers. Some states have undergraduate coursework requirements and these often differ by grade level and the subject being taught. All states require that teachers go through an approved teaching certification program, usually at in-state institutions, but if you already have a teaching certificate in another state you can probably use it to teach in a new state through an interstate reciprocal agreement.

This site will guide you through the thicket of regulations for all 50 states plus the District of Columbia. We’ll let you know if there are coursework requirements for the state where you want to teach and point you to official Web sites that can give you more information. Here are some of the subjects that will be covered:

Coursework and Preparation Programs You’ll Need:

Some states want you to have a specific number of undergraduate credits and to take courses appropriate to the subject matter you intend to teach. We’ll point you to lists of approved schools and course requirements if the states make them available. At the end of each section, we’ll also give you the URL of the state department of education and a phone number to call for any details you can’t get online. If there’s an alternative certification route, we’ll tell you that here.

Facts about Teaching Certification

This section will give you some pertinent facts about teaching in the state. Here’s a fact we don’t need to give you for the individual states because it’s the same for all 50 states plus the District of Columbia: All regular teaching positions have 15 weeks of vacation every year.

We’ll also give you the average teacher’s salary and show you how it compares with the average salary for all jobs in the state.

Have fun with your coursework and good luck in your career as a teacher!